Symlinks on Windows
Bengt Nilsson
2018-11-01 15:39:15 UTC
Hi!
We have a SVN-server running on Windows and there we get problem with symlinks.
If we put up a SVN-server on a Linux-server would that work better with the symlinks although the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?

Skickades från E-post<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> för Windows 10

Consider the environment before printing this message.

To read the Company's Information and Confidentiality Notice, follow this link:
http://www.veoneer.com/en/important-information-and-confidentiality-notice
Branko Čibej
2018-11-01 16:00:04 UTC
Post by Bengt Nilsson
Hi!
We have a SVN-server running on Windows and there we get problem with symlinks.
What problem? The server should work just fine on Windows and it doesn't
use symlinks for anything.
Post by Bengt Nilsson
If we put up a SVN-server on a Linux-server would that work better
with the symlinks although  the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?
I don't know, you haven't described what you're trying to do.

-- Brane
Pavel Lyalyakin
2018-11-01 16:48:46 UTC
Hello,
Post by Bengt Nilsson
Hi!
We have a SVN-server running on Windows and there we get problem with symlinks.
If we put up a SVN-server on a Linux-server would that work better with
the symlinks although the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?
Please, see SVNBook | Versioning Symbolic Links
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.cycle.html> (scroll down to
the "Versioning Symbolic Links" section). Is this what you are asking about?

If the answer is "yes", then the platform where the SVN server runs does
not matter. You need the clients to be on Linux, but the server can be on
Windows.
--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin
VisualSVN Team
Albertsen, Ketil
2018-11-02 10:07:08 UTC
So where did this idea about “
 working copies on systems such as Windows that do not support symlinks” come from? NTFS supports symlinks, and has supported it for many years. If my memory is correct, it wasn’t avialable in the CLI interface, cmd.exe, utntil long after the file system API provided it – but now we are talking history!

VisualSVN Team
Branko Čibej
2018-11-02 10:37:42 UTC
So where did this idea about “… working copies on systems such as
Windows that do not support symlinks” come from?
It comes from a time when Windows did not support symlinks. However ...
NTFS supports symlinks, and has supported it for many years.
... it's not so simple. Even though NTFS supports symlinks, there are
two problems:

* Symlinks to files and symlinks to directories are different on
Windows, whereas Unix doesn't care. Obviously Subversion doesn't
know what the target of the symlink is supposed to be.
* You need special permissions to create a symlink. You either have to
be in Administrator mode, or — if the code is written differently —
have the Development Mode turned on. The vast majority of users
aren't able to create them.

And, of course, NTFS is not the only filesystem people can use,
Subversion would have to decide on a case-by-case basis if the
filesystem where the working copy is stored supports symbolic links.
This is, however, a minor problem compared to the other two.
If my memory is correct, it wasn’t avialable in the CLI interface,
cmd.exe, utntil long after the file system API provided it – but now
we are talking history!
For the reasons mentioned above, supporting symbolic links on Windows is
a much more complex problem than you think. Even if we somehow solved
the file/directory link problem, adding a feature that requires special
permissions to use is a non-starter.

-- Brane

VisualSVN Team
Robert Heller
2018-11-02 13:41:09 UTC
So where did this idea about "...Š working copies on systems such as
Windows that do not support symlinks" come from? NTFS supports symlinks,
and has supported it for many years. If my memory is correct, it wasn't
avialable in the CLI interface, cmd.exe, utntil long after the file system
API provided it - but now we are talking history!
MS-Windows file systems (FAT, NTFS) don't support POSIX-style symlinks. There
is some hack that *sort of* implements *something like* a symlink, but it is
not really the same.
Sent: 1 November, 2018 17:49
Hello,
Hi!
We have a SVN-server running on Windows and there we get problem with symlinks.
If we put up a SVN-server on a Linux-server would that work better with the symlinks although the clients (TortoiseSVN) are on Windows?
Or do we have to have clients on Linux as well?
Please, see SVNBook | Versioning Symbolic Links<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.cycle.html> (scroll down to the "Versioning Symbolic Links" section). Is this what you are asking about?
If the answer is "yes", then the platform where the SVN server runs does not matter. You need the clients to be on Linux, but the server can be on Windows.
--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin
VisualSVN Team
--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services